14/9/07

Critique on 'Something awful'

The blog I am gonna talk about is, “Something awful”.

This is a blog operated in 1999 which means it’s nearly ten years old. Unlike many other blogs that are usually hosted by one person, “Something awful” is a blog hosted by a group of steeled people. The identity of contributor of each entry is shown though with little tricky middle name. So, it should be considered as personality based blog? (I think it is good~~Coz I think if a blogger who wants to convince his/her reader should dare to speak out his/her real name, even the false name?)

Just as its name implies, basically, “Something awful” is a place for people to comment on the things which they might consider to be ‘awful’.

But what kind of things? Well, music, movies, books, fashion, safari, game or sport……it nearly covers everything in our daily life. We are sure to find the articles on our interested topic. And the blog not only provide the entries of articles but also the videos, pictures and flashes.
And how awful the things are? Actually, the opinions of the publishers about awful things refers to the review of some movie, songs or other things that they don’t like. Obviously, the opinions are highly subjective but, quite interesting, because most of them have never been heard before. They usually help people to discover the truths. To me, it is happy to know the new information that I didn’t think of before. And sometimes, I am so surprised to find out that I’ve been cheated on something for quite a long time…

For example, in the article “This Article is Politically Incorrect and Is About the Stuff the "Man" Doesn't Want You To Hear” posted on September 2, 2007, the blogger says:” Recently I was doing what the SomethingAwful boss, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka, orders all his employees to do: I was artificially driving up click-through rate on our ads by clicking them over and over again using three computers, five automated programs, and six hands.” Well, that’s a big surprising. I never know that employees should click their ads for the boss by themselves, and should be so ‘hard-working’. It is funny, but that’s true. So never worry about the rate of ads on the internet any more, because they will grow by themselves!

Another article “The Awful Guide to Your Inevitable Walt Disney World Vacation” posted on September 6, 2007 is also interesting. The blogger thinks that “Planning a Walt Disney World vacation is quick and painless”. Oh, is it? It is the first time I hear about this. So I wonder why it is so awful for him? Oh, “Cost too much money and energy!” Well, it sounds reasonable for Disney vacaion to be awful. What is more? The blogger continue to criticize each Walt Disney World around the world. From The Magic Kingdom to Epcot. He also says that:” The Magic Kingdom is the second to worst "Disneyland" style park in the world. It beats Hong Kong Disneyland only because there are less Chinese people in Florida.” I’m no gonna comment on the underlying meaning of the second sentence, I just want to say it’s good to know what’re people really thinking about, and that’s ‘Something awful’ can bring me. And Walt Disney Worlds are no longer the dream island?

However, the only thing disappoints me is that I can’t comment on the blog though now I am so eager to! What I can do is just sending the bloggers email which means the public will not see my comments. It is not fair. Though there is a forum of general discussion, but it is not convenient to link all the public opinions to a particular article which worth discussing. The conservative style doesn’t match such a daring blog.

Anyway, it’s good to have a regular visit on this ‘Something awful’ blog. It’s not that awful, or maybe you would find it awesome.

No comments: